It is served by main line services and a smaller service to Southampton Central via Melksham, Westbury and Salisbury.
It is being electrified to make train times faster from London to the West Country.
There are also access points off Hill Corner Road (via fields) and Jacksom's Lane.
(There is another Chippenham, Cambridgeshire as well as Cippenham, Berkshire near Slough.) From Chapman's harbour. In Norwegian, Kjøpenhavn (Pronounced "Shiopenhavn") There are believed to have been settlements in the Chippenham region since before Roman times.
It might share toponomy with Copenhagen (København – "Market harbour". Remains of Romano-British settlements are visible in the wall behind the former magistrates' court and recent redevelopments of the town have shown up other evidence of early settlements.
The town is surrounded by sparsely populated countryside and there are several woodlands in or very near the town, such as Bird's Marsh, Vincients Wood and Briars Wood.
Suburbs include Cepen Park (North & South), Hardenhuish, Monkton, Lowden, Pewsham, Primrose Hill, Englands, Frogwell, Derriads, The Folly, Redland, Queens Crescent, Lackham, Fenway Park, and Hill Rise, loosely corresponding to local government wards.
An alternative theory suggests that the name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word ceap, meaning market.
In John Speed's map of Wiltshire (1611), the name is spelt both "Chippenham" (for the hundred) and "Chipnam" (for the town).
1570 and stood at the centre of the Shambles, at the current location of Barclays Bank. Lowndes bought the Buttercross for £6 and re-erected it as a gazebo in the kitchen garden of the Castle Combe Manor House, where it subsequently fell into disrepair.
It was used for the sale of meat and dairy products. The Buttercross was re-erected in 1995 by the Chippenham Civic Society, funded by many local people and organisations.
National Express Coach services connect at Chippenham to London, Wales, South West England, the Midlands and East Anglia.
The original Buttercross, a stone structure, was erected in c.
Local councillors have called for an eastern extension linking the A4 to the A350 north of Cepen Park, although this has been opposed by many residents.